Let me start off by saying that I have never bought into the whole subscription box thing. I know lots of people who do, and I always thought they were a little mad. I mean, getting a parcel of goodies in the post is always exciting but it’s not like it’s a gift! You did pay for the box, remember? And you don’t always get to choose what goes into that box. It’s like gambling £20 a month on a box full of stuff you might not even like.
But the Glamour Summer Edit box from LatestinBeauty.com looked too good to miss. I had read amazing things about at least half of the products in there; I actually planned to buy one of the Revlon matte liquid lipsticks, and they are £8.99 each alone! The box cost me £20, and there is (reportedly) £100 of products included.
It was delivered almost a month ago now, but I wanted to wait until I had had a chance to try out all of the products before I reported back. I did get a bit excited when it arrived, and it was beautifully packaged:
and (since I knew what was inside!) I couldn’t wait to get stuck in! So, without further ado, let me give you my thoughts on all of the products included in this little black box of summery goodness 🌴☀️🐝
- Grounded Chocolate Orange Body Scrub £11.99 this definitely smelt incredible, and I guess it felt quite nice, in a weird way, when I was using it. But I haven’t noticed any change in my skin. There’s enough in the pack to use a couple of times (three if you’re being careful) but it’s difficult not to get any water inside the pack, especially if you’re using it in the shower like I was!
- Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolour in ‘Devotion’ £8.99 This one is incredible. I wanted to buy this before I had even read about it – I saw someone on Youtube wearing it and they had said how great it was. They were right. It goes on nicely, stays on for absolutely hours, and looks great with my skin tone. This isn’t the colour that I was going to get, but I’m so happy with it that I’ll keep using it. The packaging is also lovely – I’m a sucker for an expensive feel and this one is nice. The frosted glass-look and the screw top feel really high-end. The product isn’t sticky, it drys (almost) matte, and it smells SO GOOD! The one thing I would change about this is the oddly-shaped applicator. It looks like a regular doe-foot applicator in the picture but it isn’t, it’s more like a paddle shape, which doesn’t really work for me. I will still definitely re-purchase this though!
- Oribe Dry Texturising Spray £39 The first thing that I need to say about this little can is how nice the packaging is. I told you I’m a sucker for a cute package 😋 First impressions though, were not so good. I use dry shampoo so that my dark hair doesn’t look so greasy, and this definitely does not have this quality. I’d say it’s more like a hairspray – it made my hair sticky and I felt like it wasn’t covering up any of the grease. My hair didn’t feel at all clean either, the way Batiste makes it feel. For £39, I can’t really see why you would buy this. I used it three or four times just to make sure it was not for me. If anyone wants to give me some tips on using it, that would be much appreciated!
- St Tropez Self-Tan Classic Bronzing Mist £20.50 As a self-tan addict, I was really looking forward to using this. I am a big fan of dry sprays and mists, and I know St Tropez is THE big name in tanning. First impressions were kind of ‘meh.’ It doesn’t spatter like my current fake-tan favourite (St Moritz), but it’s definitely not as pigmented as my St Moritz. In fact I’d go as far as to say I look pale compared to normal!
- Ladival Sun Protection Spray SPF30 £13.50 This is one LARGE ‘sample!’ I haven’t been able to try this one out yet (stupid English weather) but I will certainly be taking it to Antigua for my wedding in a few weeks! I did do a quick swatch test on my arm and it seems very light and not at all sticky. It doesn’t particularly smell of anything (I quite like heavily-scented products but I know they aren’t for everyone!), but I’m hoping it will help my pale, freckly self to avoid the dreaded burn.
- Nuxe Prodigeux Shower Oil £10 I was disappointed with this. Yes, it smelt strong. No, the smell was not pleasant (think grandma), and no, it did not leave my skin with a satin finish OR a ‘golden shimmer.’ I would definitely not buy this again. In fact I’m glad the sample is tiny, I can’t wait to get back to using my Imperial Leather marshmallow shower soak.
- WOW Mask Luxury Facial Mask £14 (or £60 for a pack of 5 masks) WOW makes a bold claim when it comes to skincare. I have to say, although it is very different from my usual Body Shop Seaweed mask, I really enjoyed using this. The mask was loaded with cooling, soothing and cleansing gel, and I made sure I took advantage of the 30 minutes it recommends leaving the mask on your face to have a lie down and listen to some music, which I hardly ever get chance to do! Long term I can’t say as I noticed a difference though 😞
- Aurelia Miracle Cleanser and Bamboo Muslin Cloth £38 This stuff is what dreams are made of. I’m currently figuring out which organs I would have to sell in order to get my hands on a year’s supply of this product. Where to start though… The cleanser is a cream-style cleanser, quite thick, and you massage it into your skin. I don’t wear makeup really, but I get the feeling that if I did, this would break it down no problem. It feels like a spa product – it even had that smell of the spa. The little cloth is so cute and makes it so easy to rinse off and make sure all of the dirt is properly gone. I have already noticed, after a couple of days use, that my face looks glowing and clear. I don’t know if I’m imagining it or if I’m just on a high from how much I’m enjoying my new evening routine now that it includes this beauty but… well, I can’t do it justice, other than to say my face feels cleaner than it ever has done before. Go try it. Seriously.
So, decision time. Which of these products would I buy again? Well, definitely the Aurelia facial cleanser. I’m in love with it. The WOW mask was nice, but massively overpriced. The Revlon Lipcolour will be re-purchased but perhaps in another colour. The rest, I could take or leave, but I did really enjoy the experience of buying the box and trying out all of the new products… I’m now on the lookout for other similar offers – recommendations appreciated!